"... and we got this location to search. In case you find that dwarf, or any other, or - hell, in case you find anyone - just kill him, take his possessions and call me. Do NOT open any bags, documents or letters. Especially letters. And yet another thing: Stay alert, as there may be even someone else looking for that bastard."
Scenario: The Spy that wasn't (inspired by The Heist from HourII compendium)
- Gorm Shieldbearer (P); Q2+ C4, Leader, Fearless, Short Move, Steadfast, 95pts
- Ragnar "Knock-knock" Shieldbreaker, Q3+ C4; Fearless, Short Move, Steadfast, 46pts
Giml... just a warrior (shield and axe); Q3+ C3, Short Move, Steadfast, 30pts
- Robur, wounded warrior ...again (shield and hammer); Q4+ C3, Short Move, Steadfast, 30pts
- Skadi the Sharpshooter; Q3+ C3, Good Shot, Shooter: Medium, Short Move, 44pts
- Lorn the Leery, crossbowman; Q3+ C3, Good Shot, Shooter: Medium, Short Move, 44pts
- Goth Rekk, berserk; Q3+ C3, Berserk, Short Move, 32pts
-Courageous (waste of VPs, but it's my opponent's choice)
- Udo, Leader (P); Q3+ C3, Leader, 60 pts
- Wilhelm, Crossbowman; Q3+, C3, Shooter: Medium, Good Shot, Fearless, 50 pts
- Lope, handgunner; Q3+, C3, Shooter: Medium, Good Shot, 44 pts
- John the Bowman; Q4+, C3, Shooter: Long, 33 pts
- Horatio, pistolier; Q3+ C3, Shooter: Short, Good Shot, 40 pts
- Heini the Halberdier; Q3+, C3, 30 pts
- Ian, halberdier; Q3+, C3, 30 pts
First of all, sorry for the quality of pics - the place was dark, and the camera in my mobile is rather poor. This time I had to use gamma correction, and they still look horrible.
Both warbands arrived to the place where the spy was supposed to be...
Bad Company were about to search the surroundings when John heard something. A deep voice calling in a language that sounded like a dwarven one. At silent command, Bad Company moved forward, postponing the inspection of conspicious woods to a more appropriate time. Halberdiers hurried to hide behind the ridge, followed Lope and Horatio, while John and Wilhelm teased the dwarves with some rather harmless shots. However, Gorm's band was more than up to the challenge, and Wilhelm was sent to ground by a bolt that glanced off his helmet.
Udo moved in, signalling Horatio to begin the ball. Fresh wind moved through the trees reminding Horatio of his days at sea... That daydream was going to be more than costly, though. (Turnover in a critical moment - at least I managed to assign him as a meatshield to Udo.)
Thwack - thwack! Was it a sail, cracking in a gust of wind? Horatio was at the sea again, trying to shout orders through a hurricane, but in vain. The storm, black as night came and swallowed him. There was little Udo could do but to make ready for a berserk's charge - which never came.
(Isn't Fortune a sweet lady?)
Lope rushed forward, took aim and BOOM! Goth Rekk was almost dead (Tough as Nails).
(Now I'm not quite sure what happened next, and why I didn't put the halberdiers together. I know that one succeeded on one or two dice only?) Ian (again, why?) moved to defend the missiles, while Heini rushed to meet Ragnar - but he was pushed back in spite of all his efforts. Both John and Wilhelm failed to wound Robur.
(Here comes the part where I got butchered - I hadn't seen so many consecutive 1:5 or 1:6 pairings ever before.) With Goth's assistance Ragnar crushed Heini and rushed Ian, who was outnumbered and finished off by Gorm. Robur and Gimli closed in with John and Wilhelm. Thwack! There went Lope. Thwack! There went Udo. This was too much for John and he fled, living to feather many more dwarves in the bad days to come. Cold-blooded as ever, Wilhelm decided to complete the mission - or die trying.
Running to the hills...
Wilhelm evaded the lumbering enemy, knifed Robur (poor lad, got OOA in 3 of 4 games) and tried to put reasonable distance between him and the pursuers, but ultimately,...
...died with his shoes on.
Summary: At this point I decided to forfeit the campaign, as the 6 dwarves would get a raise to C or Q, and considering Tough as Nails, I didn't feel up to that challenge. It was a short campaign, but we enjoyed it quite a lot. Looking forward to the next campaign!